[Sca-cooks] Hampton Court copper kettle

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Dec 12 20:04:19 PST 2006

Johnnae replied to my questions with:

<<< The kitchens at Hampton Court kept large pots boiling at all times.
This is the Boiling House where beef was boiled.
They boiled immense quantities of beef each day for soups and pies.
(200 two pound joints is the amount mentioned in Brears)
The stairs allow access to the side of the kettle.
http://www.hrp.org.uk/webcode/content.asp?ID=411
http://europeforvisitors.com/europe/countries/uk/hampton-court-palace-
tudor-kitchens-factsheet.htm
This is all explained in Peter Brears' All the King's Cooks. >>>

Okay, it sounds like the stairs are built into the wall surrounding
the kettle and not into the kettle itself.

Thanks for the links and the reminder about Peter Brear's book. I'll
have to look at it again. Unfortunately, like a good number of
(most?) my books I haven't found the time to read them. I started
reading this book and getting bogged down in some of the details, I
went on to another one.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas