[Sca-cooks] How I spent my Thanksgivig

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Dec 12 23:26:20 PST 2006

Jadwiga asked:
<<< So, Stefan, how are you feeling? Have the effects of your
Thanksgiving
'drakey' subsided?
*hugs* >>>

Thank you, Jadwiga. And everyone else who has sent emails of concern
and support.

I wouldn't really call my adventure a "Drakey". I'm not that
imaginative. Just clumsy and/or unlucky.

Three weeks after my fall, things are generally better. Last Tuesday,
a week ago, the doctor took off the cast/splint and replaced it with
a somewhat adjustable "immobilizer". This is a pair of metal rods
covered with upholstery and padding. At least this thing I can remove
instead of trying to cover the cast with a plastic bag for showers.
It also lets me rotate my wrist, instead of holding my wrist
vertical, so I can at least use both hands for typing. Because it is
stiff to rotate and I still have to hold my elbow up and out to type,
it can still be rather tiring.

I have managed to get a number of new and updated files into the
Florilegium, though.

My arm usually doesn't hurt that much, although often there is a deep
ache. The painkillers help. The low-level pain mostly just makes me
uncomfortable and irritable.

I am starting to drive again, although I'm a bit slow in tight turns.
I did go ahead and have my wife drive me to my interviews at Dell
Inc. last Friday. They did seem to go well, but you never know for
sure and it is probably still a bit soon to hear from them. I think
having the immobilizer was better than having the cast/splint would
have been.

I'm often still feeling tired, worn out and unmotivated, falling
asleep at the computer sometimes. I hope this exhaustion is just
energy being diverted to rebuild my busted arm. I've never broken any
limbs before, so I don't have a lot of experience to go on. I wish
the doctor had given me more info on what to do or not do. Maybe most
patients don't want that info. Hey, I'm an engineer. My sister-in-law
was in physical therapy for a number of years. I may just have to ask
her about exercises to do or precisely what to avoid. The doctor was
very insistent about my arm still being weak and to be very careful
when I had the immobilizer removed.  He was happy about how it was
healing though. Next appointment with him is in early January.  I
have been making sure I drink milk and eat "Tums" type calcium
tablets so my body has plenty of calcium available if it needs it.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com