[Sca-cooks] SCAdian High school yearbook photo banned

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 13 12:13:38 PST 2006

On Dec 13, 2006, at 2:25 PM, silverr0se at aol.com wrote:

>  Bad as it is that the picture was not deemed acceptable, I find it
> more shocking the there is paid advertising in a high school
> yearbook. Maybe I am old, but in my day the yearbook was a
> rememberence of classmates and the year just past.
>
> In California, at least, the school might get into trouble with tax
> laws...
>
> Renata

I'm not sure what paid advertising consists of in this case, but I
think these are ads paid for by and related to the graduating class,
like an expanded version of what they used to call "boosters" in high-
school-class-published magazines. For example, I see to recall one
from my own high school yearbook, a mere 26 years ago, wherein two
seniors had apparently decided for some reason to get married shortly
after graduating, and thanking their families; I suppose it's not too
difficult to put two and two together and have a pretty good chance
of figuring out what that was all about -- the ad never really
explained it. I suppose for the people who actually knew them well,
it was clear.

But that's a little different from, "Chemistry supplies not making
the grade? Come to Murphy Chemical Supply Co. on Route 17A! Our
cylinders are graduated, too!"

Or whatever.

Adamantius

eat cake!"