[Sca-cooks] Liber cure cocorum

Cindy Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Thu Dec 14 07:12:56 PST 2006

Yes, this entire section of Sloane MS 1986 rhymes. As Adamantius points
out, sections of the Babees Book rhymes too. However, the Boke of
Curtasye (included in the Babees Book by Furnivall, p. 297-327) is
actually part of the same manuscript!  Liber Cure Cocorum continues
*uninterrupted* from the Boke of Curtasye. The scribe writes (my
translation):
Now speak I will a little more
Of craft, truly, that takes great lore
In court; that men call cookery…

He then goes on to list over 120 recipes in verse. The verse, I
believe, was intended as a mnemonic device for a professional cook who
already knew how to make all these standard dishes. The scribe mangles
a few of them quite badly to force his rhyme scheme, i.e. leaving out
ingredients & steps. So it's prudent to find the same recipe in another
collection and compare the two. Many of these recipes, unrhymed, can be
found in A Noble Book of Cokery for a Prince's Household, Holkham MS.
674. this can be found in Duke Cariadoc's Miscellany, IIRC.

I've got the new transcription and translation from the original Sloan
manuscript 1986 finished, BTW. I'm just held up on dotting the i's and
crossing the t's. It should be available online soon.

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow
www.thousandeggs.com