[Sca-cooks] Turkeys ARE Period!

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Dec 14 22:14:03 PST 2006

Actually, there is high probability that the Spanish introduced two
different species at about the same time;  Agriocharis ocellata (AKA
Meleagris ocellata) the Central American or "Mayan" turkey and Meleagris
gallopavo riograndensis, both of which range into Mexico.  The latter bird
is quite a bit larger than the Eastern woodland turkey, is often tan in
color and does a lot of upright walking because it is a plains bird.  In my
opinion, the white domesticated turkey is most likely a descendent of the
Rio Grande turkey.

Oklahoma is at the western edge of the woodland turkey's range and the
northeastern edge of the Rio Grande turkey's range and I've had the pleasure
of observing both in the field.

Bear