[Sca-cooks] "aceite de bazo" (oil from the spleen)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Dec 16 01:51:25 PST 2006

Brighid ni Chiarainrepliws to me with:

<<< Stefan li Rous wrote:

 > However, the correction is not much clearer than the original
 > mistake. :-( What is "oil from the spleen"? What would you ask for in
 > the grocery store to get this? Or what would be a good substitute?
 > Any idea why this specific item was called out, instead of just "oil"
 > or whatever?

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  There is no such thing as "oil from the
spleen".  That was the spelling error in the transcription.  The
original merely says, "oil underneath, so that it does not stick".  For
Spanish cooking, olive oil is the default, unless some other kind is
specified.  >>>

Nope, you were clear. I just mis-read it and then didn't read it
carefully enough when checking it again. It does though give an
example of just how difficult dealing with translation errors can be.
As if dealing with unusual cooking vocabulary isn't bad enough even
in modern recipes. I'll post my questions about a modern pastry
recipe that I did earlier tonight, later.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com