[Sca-cooks] preventing apple oxidation

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Dec 16 21:59:14 PST 2006

Liz suggested:
<<< In a message dated 12/15/2006 7:55:06 P.M. Central Standard Time,
adamantius1 at verizon.net writes:

Take  your time, do it right. If necessary drop the apples into
lightly  acidulated water to keep them from turning brown while you
finish  the job. My experience has been that SCAdians (and, frankly,
most  people) frequently tend to do one or both of two things: the
first  is to distort the sizes of the cut pieces in their knife work,
so  what is supposed to be 1/4" dice is really 3/4" dice, and the
second  is to succumb to a fatigue factor, where the first several
pieces  are the right size, but as they go along, they slowly get
larger. >>>

I used one of those chopping jars, so I didn't really have a problem
with consistency, but I may have over-chopped them some. I definitely
have the problem with them getting over chopped when I use the food
processor, although using a disk instead of the blade might work better.

<<< I've discovered I prefer to use lemon-lime soda instead of the
standard
lemon juice.  I know it's a modern thing, but I prefer the results.
It protects
fruit from browning, but the sweetness of the beverage leaves  the
fruit fresh
tasting not tangy from the acidic ingredients (lemon, vinegar,  etc.)
normally used.  >>>

Thanks, this sounds like a wonderful idea to keep in mind. I did try
a bit of lime juice on the first apple (because that was what I had
easily at hand). However I had trouble dispersing it through the
chopped apple as well as I might have liked and I was afraid of
overdoing it and getting a lime taste added.

I usually don't have any lemon-lime regular soda on hand. However,
since I don't think it would hurt if the lemon-lime soda had gone
"flat", I could keep some around. Regular instead of diet, because
the Nutrasweet in the diet versions tends to have a relatively short
life span and when it goes bad I think it would definitely transfer a
taste I wouldn't want.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas