[Sca-cooks] source for marshmallow

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Dec 18 14:22:27 PST 2006

On Dec 18, 2006, at 5:00 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> The description on the site says:
> <<< Our Marshmallow Root comes in a cut suitable for tea and has been
> sifted to remove excess dust. Current lot is not square cut and is
> "fuzzy" and fibrous. >>>
>
> What does it mean "in a cut suitable for tea"?

Exactly what it sounds like: cut small enough to give you a good
infusion in less time than it takes for a small pot of boiling water,
or a cup, to cool off to an undesirable extent, without being
powdered, or cut up so small that it produces a cloudy or gritty
beverage. In other words, the end product is designed for making
marshmallow tea, which is presumably something like comfrey tea, with
a slightly mucilaginous quality generally considered good for things
like sore throats.

But you can still make lozenges or even poufy marshmallows out of it...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04