[Sca-cooks] Grains of Paradise

Ysabeau lady.ysabeau at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 12:38:37 PST 2006

As far as I know, there is no boycott of Sumatran products. What could
possibly be happening is a bit of confusion. I don't know where
(climate/location) GoP are grown, but it is possible that some of the crops
were wiped out by the tsunami and it is a matter of time to allow the crops
to be re-grown.

I've followed the politics of Aceh for years because I used to live there.
The issues weren't from muslim fundamentalists, although that is the term
now being used. The rebellion was started as a response to the Indonesian
government giving drilling and mineral rights to American corporations,
keeping the profits in Jakarta and providing very little that would improve
the lifestyle and well-being of the local people. That area is primarily
muslim, but they have a long history of resisting when Western countries
come in and try to exploit their resources. They were one of the few areas
the Dutch were not able to "conquer" during their hey day.

Ysabeau
(whose computer is not wanting to cooperate)