[Sca-cooks] Half an outcast! St. Nick?

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 22:47:43 PST 2006

Phil Troy wrote: ". . .thinking Santa Claus . . .I don't have any
evidence that  there's an old fat man with a white beard (actually I
never though of him as all that old, or even all that fat). how far back
does the image of santa claus or saint nicholas go."
    St. Nicholas was the Bishop of Myra, a Greek colony, born in Patara,
Lycia in the 3rd Century and supposedly died on 6 December 343 in Myra.
You can find out about him at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas  - among other sites.
    My image of him is not fat as famine hit the island during his life
time. As he lived to be quite old he could have had a white beard. The
cited article states he was "barely five feet in height (while not
exactly small, still shorter than average, even for his time) and had a
broken nose."
    He was popular during the Middle Ages as seen by the number of
churches bearing his name throughout Europe and of course recognized as
the patron saint on Christmas giving rise to 'bishop boy celebration' or
the 'king of the fava' feasts in Spain when all kinds of jests were
performed in his honor especially in royal courts on Christmas day
particularly.
    Early icons portray him as skinny with a dark brown or black beard.
As I recall in medieval German images of him he wore a long red robe
lined with white fur while in Spain he remained more or less Greek
improving burlap-like tunics with silk robes (thanks to the  silk
factory in Cordoba founded during the first half of the 9th Century).
When he moved to the North Pole and acquired rosy cheeks, a big belly,
an impotent wife and a sleigh guided by reindeer is beyond me. Certainly
as per late 19th Century American literature was him living there. Was
he married by then? I don't remember great grandmother commenting on
that or the role of Orthodox bishops for that matter. I do remember from
pictures in books of her era around the house. His "broken nose" seems
to have become swollen during the beginning of the 20th century or was
that because of the jiggers of whiskey traditionally left out for him at
the family homestead? As far as I know he did not practice prohibition
in the late 1920's along with grandfather, so why should they now?
According to mother Rudolph, Santa's reindeer captain, did not arrive
until the late 1940's no thanks to Bing Crosby. She hated that song!
Susan