[Sca-cooks] OOP- the Lefse experience

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 26 04:04:53 PST 2006

also called ... winging it

So   here is how it went.

>From the very helpful posts on the list, I got proportions of potatoes to
flour, cream and butter.

Hit the potato bin for the odd-size taters, those too big or too small to
make into anything where size matters.  Fetched out one football and ten
marbles, and called em six large potatoes.  Peeled them, cut them into
half-inch dice and boiled them until I was sure that they were all done.
Strained them, and used the very thick starch water to kick-start the Oregon
Trail Wild Yeast starter that made the rolls for the Christmas Day meal …
waste not … want not.

Since I don’t have a ricer, I shoved the cooked potatoes through the sieve.
It was not a perfect solution, but it worked.  Given that I was working with
proportions, I added flour cup for cup with the potatoes.  Salt and Sugar
being harder to judge, I felt comfortable using my palm as a measuring
device, and added around a tablespoon of sugar, and around a teaspoon of
salt.  The idea was to end up with a very soft product, so I erred on the
side of caution and added a whole stick (half a cup) of butter.  Found out
that I the heavy cream I thought I had … I didn’t.   At that point I nearly
scrapped the whole project.  Instead, I grabbed the tub of commercial sour
cream and added  the very exact measure of … some.  If I had to guess I
would say it was around half a cup.  I kneaded the mass for ten minutes.
Working from memory (mother and I made metric tons of Lefse at Christmas in
my adolescence), I bagged the dough and put it in the fridge over night.
Memory was telling me the dough was always COLD when we worked it.

Christmas Eve, at six in the morning, I get a phone call.  One of his 10
brothers passed away in surgery the night of the 23rd.  They will be headed
for North Dakota in a few hours.  Finishing the Lefse had before they left
for his home town became an instant priority, since this was to be Mother’s
Weinact Gift for him.

Took the dough out of the fridge, rolled it into snakes, and cut it into 24
fairly even pieces.  Scattered flour on a cookie sheet, put the pieces on
the flour and scattered more flour on top and returned the sheet to the
fridge.

I don’t have a Lefse rolling pin, but I do have a marble rolling pin … so I
tossed that in the freezer.  I don’t have a takki either, so I made do with
the biggest cast iron fry pan I had.

Again, working from memory, I found a new two-inch paint brush with soft
sturdy bristles.  Scattering MUCH flour on the board, I floured the
extremely frelling cold marble rolling pin.  Taking a chunk of dough I
flattened with fingers as far as possible without surrender.  Using small
strokes, I rolled the piece as flat as I dared.  Then, I remembered
something mother called a Lefse Stick (which she used occasionally to beat
us, hence my reason for not remembering its true function until it was too
late).  It was a long flat wooden object that she used to scrap the
flattened Lefse off the board.  I don’t have a Lefse stick, but I did have a
bread knife.  Using the back side, I managed to get the whole off the board
and into the dry fry pan and only punched one hole in it.  I recall that
holes were bad.  As the one side cooked, I brushed the flour off the
uncooked side.  Using fingers I flipped it over and brushed the excess flour
from the other side.  When the other side was bubbled and the bubbles were
light brown, I removed it from the fry pan and put it on a foil sheet which
I folded over to keep the steam in.  I brushed the slightly browned flour
into a bowl to use for gravy making … waste not, want not.

Repeating the procedure with the other 23 dough bits, I was able to roll one
out while the other cooked.  I was reminded why mother and I did this
together, because it was a little hectic doing both the rolling and the
frying myself.  Not impossible, just hectic.

Some were square, some had a hole from the bread knife, all were pretty
small compared to the ones we made when I was a girl, but it was Lefse.

So far, I have not had an expert review, but he got two dozen minus one.
Have to make more at some point soon.

Cheers

Malkin

Jo (Georgia L.) Foster
jo_foster81 at hotmail.com

Never knock on death's door........ Ring the doorbell and run. He hates
that.