[Sca-cooks] ramblings of a poultry laurel...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Dec 26 16:07:10 PST 2006

Johann von Metten, poultry laurel, mentioned:
<<< I'm sorry, but the poultrier has to weigh in here...The Spanish
introduced the Mayan Turkey (different species than NA wild turkey)
into Europe by 1500. The birds were being raised and sold in markets
in ENGLAND by 1540 because Henry VIII put a price limit on how much
one could charge.  By the time the Pilgrims left for NA they had
already seen turkeys in the markets to England and the Netherlands.
The Dutch were already breeding WHITE turkeys by 1670... >>>

Interesting. But just to make sure, is 1670 correct or did you mean
1570? If not, what is so significant about white turkeys? That's
almost 200 years since the Columbus voyages. Less than a decade to
introduce Turkeys to the Old World, though? Wow.

<<<   aren't ya glad ya didn't get me going on chickens and eggs!!
lol!!  >>>

Well, what can you tell us about period eggs? Written any articles
which might be good for the Florilegium? I've got articles on period
sheep and dog breeds, but nothing on period poultry.

B-H-Cheviot-art   (16K)  2/27/03    "The Brecknock Hill Cheviot - A
Shepherds
                                        Investigation" by Blacksheep.
Guinefort-art     (16K)  8/30/06    “Guinefort: The Sainted Dog of
France” by
                                        Mevanwy verch Tuder de
Courtecadeno.
The-Sheep-art      (8K) 10/30/02    "The Sheep That Changed the Face
of Art and
                                        History" by Blacksheep.

Stefan
--------