[Sca-cooks] barley meal

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 27 16:30:46 PST 2006

> I saved the now dusty pearled barley and the quarter cup of
> barley flour which I generated. Perhaps I should use my spice
> grinder and turn the rest of the barley into flour and bake
> the barley bread. Or does anyone have some other suggestions
> on using this pearled barley?

Beef Barley Leek Soup (Amra's "Quick" Version)
	Large Crockpot -- four or more quart capacity
	Water (start with two quarts, add to maintain at least that
volume; finishes to 3.5 to 4 quarts)
	Barley
	One large or two medium onion -- peeled, minced or cut very
thinly (may be omitted by doubling Leek); good use for dried onion in
whatever rendition
	"scrap" beef, as much as you care to use: steak trimmings, roast
bones, etc. (or stew meat / other trimmings / yadda) -- mince or dice or
reduce to whatever size you like.  A half pound or more of meat is
suggested; bones should be removed before serving.
	One large Leek, or equivalent -- well-cleaned, thinly sliced
(discard majority of green leaves unless you know uses for them I
don't).  Reserve one or two slices to float on the surface for garnish
	6 cubes beef bouillon
	2 cubes vegetable bouillon
	Other spices to taste (thyme, ground pepper, sea salt)
	Other vegetables as desired (diced carrots, pearl onions,
what-have-you)
	Plenty of time

Substitute beef broth / stock for beef bouillon; mirepoix (sp?) for
vegetable bouillon.  You know what you like in soup?  Go for it.
Four hours total on high, in a "standard" Rival crockpot, worked fairly
well the last time I made this...

The barley powder / flour will serve as a thickener, and should probably
be tempered before adding in the last 30 to 45 minutes of cooking *IF*
you don't just dump it in early with the rest of the barley.

This makes up as thin or thick as one might want.  "Perioid" at best.

***
Otherwise, just make up the barley per package instruction and use as a
side as you would rice.  In that case, I'd probably reserve the flour
for something else.  (There is always haggis to consider, this time of
year, of course.  Yep, haggis with barley instead of or in addition to
oats...)

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MCBaker216 at cs.com
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen