[Sca-cooks] Protestants prohibited spices in England?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 29 19:33:03 PST 2006

Susan mentioned:
<<< I am well aware of the fact that Protestants prohibited spices in
England with Queen Elizabeth I in the 16th Century as that was an
anti-Roman Catholic measure. >>>

Huh? What makes you say that? I could see the Puritans being against
spices because of the wealth and ostentation that they showed, but I
wasn't aware of the Protestants in general sharing that opinion.
Were the Puritans ever in a position to impose their opinions on
English (or Dutch) society as a whole?

And I've been surprised at how often and where sugar shows up
throughout Elizabethan recipes. Perhaps sugar had an exception, though?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com