[Sca-cooks] Playing the Art Game Again

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Dec 1 13:59:42 PST 2006

>>Want to weigh in with a guess as to what the iced rings are?
>
> Looks to moi like a baumkuchen.  I've seen claims that they're 500 years
> old, though never definitive evidence.  (A Baumkuchen is a cake made by
> drizzling thin layers over a turning spit, adding more batter as the last
> layer is baked.  Quite appropriate to the season.  And requiring a fair
> degree of skill).]

Baumkuchen is a very good possibility, unless of course, they only date to
1807, as one source has indicated.  Another source places the original
recipe in an Italian cookbook from 1426.

The loaf on the right appears to be a relative of panettone decorated with
braided wreaths of the same dough.  Panettone was more bread-like before the
19th Century.

>>Here's another
>>http://www.lindamann.com/otherpainters/vdhamen.htm
>>Good picture here of those fruit paste boxes that were being discussed
>>last month.
>
> I always liked this picture, since you can see what looks for all the
> world
> like quince paste in the box.  ;-)  And I love the details:
>
> http://www.nga.gov/cgi-bin/pimage?90303+0+0
>
> Femke de Roas

I'd swear there are a couple of powdered sugar doughnuts in that front
center plate.

Bear