[Sca-cooks] FW: spice and cheese question for my turnips recipe

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Dec 2 21:00:17 PST 2006

There's not much that I've found on Elizabethean cheese markets, but I would
expect fontina not to be very common.  It is more likely you would see gouda
or edam from the Low Countries, where there were a number of major cheese
markets.  The trade relationship between England and the Low Countries was
strong during the 15th and 16th Centuries due to the number of refugees who
moved to England to escape the Spanish.  The only true Dutch cheese market
of this type remaining is at Woerden.

If fontina did show up in England, I would expect it to be old cheese traded
in Venice or Pisa, shipped directly to London or transferred through
Portugal and traded to the English there to ship to London then wholesaled
at the docks to local grocers .  By the 16th Cenbtury, England was getting
most of its spices from Lisbon.  Pisa was a Genoese satellite, the overland
Genoese cloth trade with Asia had shrunk, and Genoa had established
factories in Spain and Portugal to rebuild its trade with Asia.   So the
trade through Portugal would be a strong possibility.

I also don't count out Venice, since the English went where they could make
a bargain.

You state that you can date fontina to the 13th Century.  Documentation,
please.  I'm curious because most of the sources I've run across base this
date on some very shaky evidence (shapes of cheese in illustrations and an
unidentified document).  I've also seen the claim for a 12th Century origin,
again with no real references that can be verified.  There is an entry on
the area cheeses in the Summa Lacticinorum (1477).  I haven't located a
copy, but an abbreviated quote from the reference makes me think that it a
generalization and not a specific reference to fontina.  The first use of
the name fontina is stated to be in 1717.  If we don't have an accurate
description of the cheese and its properties prior to the 18th Century, then
there is no way we can be assured that the cheese we call fontina is related
to the cheese produced in the 12th or 13th Century or even manufactured in a
similar manner.

Bear