[Sca-cooks] Hampton Court copper kettle

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Tue Dec 5 06:24:25 PST 2006

Imagine, if you will, a large alcove into which the kettle was placed (and
it WAS huge...it's been more than 4 years, by I recall it as being taller
than I am...not difficult for people, I know, since I'm only 5'5", but
pretty big for a kettle!).  To the right, as you're looking at it, was
another, small alcove containing the stairs, about a half-flight.  One went
up the stairs (which were only, maybe, a half-dozen or so), to gain access
to the open mouth of the kettle.  ISTR being told that it was used to boil
meats and such (it's vaguely tied in mr brain with a blurb about
flesh-hooks), which would make some sense if you had to cook really large
quantities.
My memories about this may be just a little suspect, given the time
difference.  I'm bummed that I don't have a picture of it to share--at this
point, I'm not sure if I took one and it didn't turn out, or if I didn't get
une.
--Maire