[Sca-cooks] Hampton Court copper kettle

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Tue Dec 5 07:53:09 PST 2006

Why a large kettle?

Well, you wouldn't use it for stew or anything that had to be stirred, but
boiling beef (a good way to get the salt out if its preserved) or other
meats in large pieces, and I know that large kettles can be used to scald
the pigs before butchering...

Lastly, it could be used for something as simple as hot water. A house that
large would need to do a LOT Of dishes, and they didn't exactly have the hot
water on demand taps that modern restaurant kitchens had....

I know when I do re-enactment cooking, we have our largest pot on the fire
all the time, just to keep water hot...

Hampton court was so cool...I tried to talk them into letting me stay and
play but they wouldn't cuz I was a girl ;)

--AM