[Sca-cooks] Hampton Court copper kettle

femme delyon femmedelyon at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 5 17:25:10 PST 2006

Well,if this is the kettle I saw at Hampton court it was set into a surrounding of wood and was set off the floor with small steps leading up to it. Of course I may be thinking of a different one altogether.
                                       Johanna

silverr0se at aol.com wrote:
  >>Maire mentioned:
<<< The most memorable piece I recall was this absolutely massive,
huge copper
boiling kettle that was quite a bit taller than I am, and which people
needed to use these little built-in stairs to access the top of. >>>

The stairs were built into the copper kettle? Or do you mean the site
had some extra stairs built so the tourists could look into the kettle?

Why would they need that large of a kettle? What would they have used
it for? Although it sounds like it would make a nifty hot tub.

Stefan<<

Remember, Stefan, that they were cooking for the entire Court, so they were boiling hundred of pounds of meat or whatever at a time.

I highly recommend "All the King's Cooks" bu Peter Brears. He was one of the consultants when the Hampton Court Kitchens were renovated back to their Tudor glory and he's actually cooked Tudor style banquets there.

Renata