[Sca-cooks] The 50th annual SCA-Cooks Thanksgiving list!

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Dec 6 11:04:34 PST 2006

On 12/6/06, Stephanie Ross <hlaislinn at earthlink.net> wrote:

. Mashed potatoes can be made with veg broth, roasted garlic and
> salt. Supremely yummy, no dairy needed. Or use almond milk - medieval
> lenten dishes are often vegan and a great change of pace. The parsnip mash
> with milk and nutmeg also on A-M's list would have been wonderful with
> almond milk instead. Gravies can be made with a seasoned bean puree. I know
> it sounds gross but it's actually tasty.

You can also make a pretty decent gravy using vegetable broth,
vegetable oil, and flour or corn starch, just like you make a meat
gravy. Only thing you need to be careful of is to make sure the flour
cooks so it doesn't have that raw taste. Use the cornstarch if you
want the gravy translucent.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.

Psalm 146
King James Bible