[Sca-cooks] Torta a la Genovesa . . . solids and/or liquids

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 7 16:47:09 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
On Dec 7, 2006, at 4:56 PM, grizly wrote:

> complicated, fruited, almond/pinenut/hazelnut milk with extracted
> pectin for
> the torta here?  We cook all the fruits (extracting pectin??); add
> cooked
> fruits to gound nuts, then blending it with the cooking broth again
> (adding
> eggs here if desired).

I think we're grinding the nuts, reserving them, stewing fruit in
salted water [with oil if it is a flesh day], grinding the fruit with
the ground nuts, then using the cooking liquor [along with some eggs
if it is a flesh day] to thin the puree down so it can all be pushed
through a sieve to get a nice, smooth, homogeneous product.  < < < < < <

That would be my inclination in preparing this.  Done it with some Italina
and English stuff, so my bias would lead me to mush all through and bake it
all up.

< < < < This is then put into something akin to a deep-dish pizza and baked
under a cloche. I think... > > > > >

For those of us who have no lcue, I looked it up in wikipedia:

Cloche (French language for bell) may refer to the following:
*  Bell (instrument), especially in music directions
*  A covering for protecting plants from cold temperatures. See row cover
(US English).
*  A close-fitting women's hat with a deep rounded crown and narrow rim,
popularized by flappers
*  A restaurant's bell-shaped cover for a plate of food, to retain warmth

I would gues my large terra cotta planting pot inverted would work well for
such application in my oven?

which phase is used, I'm assuming everything is pushed through the
sieve, or as much as possible. < < < < <

Gotta like the elegance of simplicity.  When in doubt, use it all.
"Occam's razor states that the explanation of any phenomenon should make as
few assumptions as possible"

< < < < As for the well-kneaded dough, note how it is then lifted out of the
pan after baking. That, and the fact that it has a slightly liquid
filling (at least before baking), makes me suspect you don't want a
delicate, flaky crust. You know how they say mealy doughs are best
for damp pie fillings? This may take that concept a step further. You
may still want it to be edible, though. I think there are some
Italian torta doughs which are made with flour and oil, water and/or
egg, but kneaded smooth like a pasta. The end result is moderately
strong, crisp on the bottom after baking, and tender and sort of
fluffy on the inside, like the dough for the timpano in "Big Night".
Isn't it, after all, a torta Genovese from a time when parts of Spain
and parts of Italy were part of the same kingdom?

Adamantius  > > > > > > > >

Makes sense when you put it that way.  That's where thinking in the
diminuative got me wandering astray.  Thinking in the big honking torta
realm, your reference to more modern Torta doughs should fit right in.  I
love talking these things out in this forum!!

niccolo difrancesco