[Sca-cooks] Hello?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 8 15:30:16 PST 2006

On Dec 8, 2006, at 5:20 PM, Pat Griffin wrote:

> Haven't gotten anything from the list since Thu 9:46 PM.  What's up?

Speaking for myself, it's unseasonably cold here, and I'm making two
pots of a reasonable facsimile of Die Echte clam chowder from
ingredients in the fridge and cupboard (in which, I might add, there
are no cups), for assorted dairy-and-tomato-allergic family members.
I get to have some of both ;-).

This process is _fairly_ modular; the pot which will get stewed,
diced tomatoes instead of milk and cream (these are somewhat modern
versions, but not totally heretical), will also get mirepoix and a
bit of diced Bell pepper (red was the first my hand fell on in the
vegetable bin, so red it is) instead of just onion. Have added flour
to make a roux (in lieu of crushed ship's biscuit; matzoh cake meal
_does_ work, though) out of the rendered salt pork fat in both pots,
then clam liquor (no, Stefan, before you ask, this is neither
distilled nor fermented, it's just what they call the juice from
opened clams). Then milk and cream to one pot, and canned, diced
stewed tomatoes in juice to the other. Taking five to type this, then
will add potato to both pots. Shortly before serving,  clams are
added, salt and copious pepper, then a pat of butter in the bowls
destined for the White Stuff...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782