[Sca-cooks] Which KitchenAid?

Holly Stockley hollyvandenberg at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 9 13:50:19 PST 2006

I'd disagree with the recommendation for the flip-top head model and say
that the bowl-lift model is a better deal for the relative increase in
price.  The corresponding increase in power is notable, as is the difference
in how much of whatever your mixing gets left on the bottom of the bowl and
NEEDS to be scraped.  The Artisan model is the one you see the most.  I'd
skip it, and go for the Pro if you can find it.  Which, in fact, I did when
I got mine.  My mother has the Pro 600, and I DO get mixer envy at her
house.  Though I should note that the Pro 600 was a replacement for the Pro
she had for better than 30 years.  It's carbon brushes wore out.  It went to
a new home with a handy man who replaced said brushes and is still going
strong 3 years later.

The real advantages to the larger mixer are - more power, all metal gears,
better whisk, and a longer life.  It will make a large, large difference if
you're at all into yeasted breads with heavy doughs, or anything that puts a
lot of torque on the driveshaft.

As to attatchments, the food grinder is great, the pasta maker is probably
inferior to a stand-alone model in demos I've seen.  And I'd skip the grain
mill entirely - if you're not very, very careful it has a tendency to crack
the plastic housing on the driveshaft inside the mixer and that's NOT a good
thing.

Femke de Roas