[Sca-cooks] FW: spice and cheese question for my turnips recipe

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Dec 11 22:38:47 PST 2006

Dame Arwen Lioncourt asked,

<<< Of course now that Pandora is out of her box, I'll never be able
to cook
Spaghettio-s at a camping event again.... more's the pity! >>>

One way to cook easily over the fire, although not exactly medieval
is to precook your dishes at home, use one of thee methods to
preserve the food and then reheat them over the fire or camp stove.

bag-cooking-msg   (24K)  3/22/03    Using plastic bags to warm pre-
cooked foods
                                        at SCA events.
canning-msg       (44K) 11/ 5/06    Use of canning in the SCA.
Directions.

For some recipes and info on cooking over a camp fire, perhaps these
files might be of use:

caldron-cookg-msg  (5K)  5/ 9/02    Cooking foods in a caldron over
an open fire
  Camp-Cooking-art   (8K) 12/ 4/00    "Camp Cooking" by Lady Caointiarn.
M-Camp-Cookng-art (11K) 10/ 2/01    "More Camp Cooking" by Lady
Caointiarn.
                                        Some simple one-pot meals.
campfood-msg      (84K)  3/ 3/99    Non-refrig., period food for
camping events.
cook-ovr-fire-msg (62K) 10/22/06    Cooking over open fires. Outdoor
feasts.

These are all in the FOOD section of the Florilegium.

<<< I'm going to use fontina, and I'm pretty happy with that choice
because I
can date it back to the 1200s in the mountains northwest of Venice
(unless one of you more learned folks thinks I'm whacked). >>>

You can find the dates for many cheeses in this file, although I
don't remember fontina being mentioned:
cheese-msg       (124K)  3/28/04    Medieval cheese. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cheese-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas