[Sca-cooks] period turkeys

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 14 06:57:00 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: sca-cooks-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org
[mailto:sca-cooks-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org]On Behalf Of Stefan li
Rous
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 1:28 AM
To: SCA-Cooks maillist SCA-Cooks
Subject: [Sca-cooks] period turkeys

niccolo difrancesco mused:
<<<<<<<<< SNIP>>
I personally see it as the most reasonable facsimile available to most
consumers today, even though they have been geneitcally and hormonally
altered to the point they cannot even copulate themselves >>>

Stefan Replied:
How is this different than the same question(s) posed about chickens,
cattle, sheep, pigs or horses? We've had discussions about this
before. "Wilder" turkeys are available, as are red and white carrots
to replace the orange carrot. But are the extra costs worth it?

I can buy generic clover honey or I can buy more specialized
varieties. Is it worth it for brewing meads? Some folks think it
is.<SNIP>>>>>>>>>>

A.  The difference between this and other species is that there si generally
more information at large about the breeding programs to modify the animals.
Turkeys are still a strongly seasonal animal, and not as well described or
taught to the public at large.  It is getting better, but there are still
lots of people that think a 25 lb white turkey tom was served to the
Pilgrims at "Thanksgiving I".  Another difference is that cooks around our
hobby often take steps to clarify and talk about the differences and
varieites when used, while we don't often trot out a turkey in a feast hall.
One of the last things we need is creating an atmosphere wherein some Celtic
themed feast uses a Butterball because it's "period, they said so".

	I personally believe it WOULD be worth one expense to try to find and
prepare a closer approximation of some heritage turkey breed that was closer
to what was available than the brine/fat/tendrizer-injected Butterball.
People do it with different steel alloys, dyes, natural fibers, clothing
designs, lighting sources . . . why not a shot at an older breed of turkey
some time?  By no means would I suggest that no one serve the local grocer's
$0.59 a pound turkeys . . . done it myself moons ago at my first feast . . .
hard to pass up an affordable protein.  I just suggest that we keep the
curiosity alive at least to learn and teach about the birds . . . and
eventualy someone have a go at one (some) of the single-breasted older
varieties some day.

	For me it's about integrity and continuity.  We cut corners in lots of
places, and declare them.  Cooking modern pork is a reality we live with,
and we disclaim the differences.  Turkeys just, for me, have some added
grist for misinterpretation and misapplication.  They do also add grist for
newer infromation not readily propagated.  It could enrish the understanding
and appreciation of U.S.'s beloved autumn delicacy.

B.  Clover is a more specific variety (varietal and not generic) than I
believe was likely used for most mead.  Wildflower is a honey that is
produced from general foraging, and what is most similar to what I've gotten
from wild tree hives in the past.  Go for the less expensive wildflower, and
you may move toward rather than away from historical approximation.

niccolo difrancesco
(I've found some breeds to track . . . I just don't want to raise the things
from eggs or from poults)