[Sca-cooks] artificial sweeteners (was Re: preventing apple oxidation)

Cat Dancer pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Dec 18 08:16:34 PST 2006

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Susan Fox wrote:

> Kiri-sensei wrote:
>> I don't know about all of them...I do happen to have a Coke product and a
>> Pepsi product here at home, and they both use aspartame.   and they do have
>> phosphoric acid in them.  However, Coke specifically makes a diet drink that
>> uses Splenda...but, for whatever reason, I don't like the taste as much as I
>> do the regular diet coke!  I also have some soda made by Jones...and these
>> contain sucralose, which I believe is Splenda.
>>
> Coke offers a Splenda-sweetened version of Diet Coke.  I have a can of
> it in front of me RIGHT NOW and the ingredients list reads:
> Carbonated water, caramel color, natural flavors, phosphoric acid,
> potassium benzoate (to protect taste), sucralose, acesulfame potassium,
> caffeine, citric acid.
>
> Other brands using Splenda include:  Diet Hansen's, Diet Rite and
> Boylan's.  That last is a lesser-known but excellent maker of Root Beer,
> Birch Beer and that sort of thing with cane sugar in the non-diet
> versions.  BevMo carries them in my part of the world [Caid].

There's a Diet Coke with Splenda, then there is the Diet Coke with
aspartame, then there are the other odd variants of Coke like C2 and
Coca-Cola Zero. C2 has sucralose, aspartame, and ace-K. Zero has aspartame
and ace-K, regular Diet Coke just has aspartame, and the Splenda Diet Coke
also has ace-K. It looks like Coke is using ace-K to supplement aspartame
in a lot of their diet soft drinks.

Since we're on the subject, what are people's feelings about using
artificial sweeteners in period cookery? I feel that while I may use sugar
substitutes in some of my own cooking, if I am cooking food that will be
consumed by others I won't use them. The exception to this is if I am
making something specifically for someone who has a known medical issue
and cannot eat sugar, but in that case I'll make the food separately and
it won't go out to the feast at-large.

As I write this, there is a little voice in my head spluttering
indignantly about artificial sweeteners ruining the humoral balance of the
dish and how detrimental that could be to the health of the feasters.
YKYITSCAW.... ;-)

Margaret FitzWilliam