[Sca-cooks] source for marshmallow

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Dec 18 14:00:30 PST 2006

Johnnae mentioned:

<<< I have now actually come across a source for the plant root.
San Francisco Herb Company carries marshmallow root.
http://www.sfherb.com/cart/webstore/SearchResults.asp

Althaea Officinalis  $4.40 per pound >>>

Thanks. I hadn't pursued this further as I didn't think they would be
available here in the U.S. It isn't as expensive as I thought it
might be, although I'm not sure how much you would need for a
reasonable sized batch.

The description on the site says:
<<< Our Marshmallow Root comes in a cut suitable for tea and has been
sifted to remove excess dust. Current lot is not square cut and is
"fuzzy" and fibrous. >>>

What does it mean "in a cut suitable for tea"?

Most people here have probably seen the earlier discussion, but just
in case you didn't, it can now be found in the FOOD-SWEET-DECORATED
section of the Florilegium as:
marshmallows-msg  (12K) 10/ 3/06    The original marshmallow treats,
made from
                                        the Marsh Mallow plant.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/marshmallows-msg.html

There are some recipes in the file, although they will take some
redacting.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas