[Sca-cooks] preventing apple oxidation

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 18 19:35:54 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
antioxidant in lemon juice, which is why I sprinkle it over apples to keep
them from changing color.  Besides, I like the fresh fruit flavor of real
lemon in my apple pie.
The most commonly used acidulant in most sodas, including ginger ale, is
citric acid.  Pghosphoric Acid is used only in colas and somilar beverages,
such as Moxie and Dr. Pepper.
Some soda, notably cream soda and root beer, have only enough acid to
activate the preservatives because too much acid destroys the flavor.

Regards,
Brekke   < < < < < <

The key is going to be your acid . . . malic, lactic, tartaric, phosphoric,
citric, acetic, ascorbic.
Lemon is just eat up with citric acid as well.  I suspect you could actually
use salicvlic acid, if you were hard up . . . just remember to consult a
physician or pharmacist first.

niccolo difrancesco