[Sca-cooks] ordering pottery by mail

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 22 00:12:43 PST 2006

--- Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Vitha mentioned:
>   <<< He has a quart size one that is ready for sale....and he does mail
> order...
>
> Not that I'm pimping him out or anything.....
>
> Rvanrens AT hotmail dot com   >>>
>
> Hmmm. Buying pottery at Pennsic or Gulf Wars and getting it home
> safely was hard enough. Has anyone ordered pottery such as this by
> mail? Did it arrive unbroken? It seems like the shipping cost would
> be a problem also, since pottery can be fairly heavy.  I've ordered
> two crock pots through ebay and the shipping was a substantial
> portion of the cost and one of the crockpots arrived in fragments.
>
> Thanks,
>    Stefan

All I can say is that Master Hroar, my wonderful hubby-snugglekins, does an
extraordinary job of packing his pottery for shipping.  He is starting to get
more and more orders.  Yea!  Not a piece broken.  His last shipment of four
mugs cost about $15 dollars to ship.

But then his pieces sometimes are magically protected... Or so it seems.  Before
he moved to Caid, he made a beautiful Viking pitcher for the then Royal Majesties
of Caid, who both had Viking personas.  He didn't pack it into his normal boxes
because he wanted to show it off to me when I got to Bloomington.  When we finished
packing the van and trailer, we discovered in our final sweep of his place, that it
almost got left behind.  So he stowed it in the van, surrounded by some packing materials.
Eight days and 2000 miles later, we finally arrive home here in Caid.  Now mind you that
we have been in and out of the van throughout the trip.  So, tired as we were, we open
up the van tailgate to get a few things before going into the house and out of the van
the pitcher falls, down to the concrete pavement that is our driveway.  For the second
that it took, we envisioned the pitcher to be shattered to pieces.  However, when I
picked it up off the driveway, there was no damage to it at all.  No chips, cracks,
pits or damage of any kind.  To say we were estounded is to put our feelings quite
mildly.  When we presented the piece to TRMs, it was as perfect as it was when it
came out of the kiln.

Huette, Hroar's bride.

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/