[Sca-cooks] Candied Orange Peel

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Dec 22 03:18:47 PST 2006

Stefan wrote:

>As someone else mentioned one of the important things is going
>to be getting as much of the pith (the white fuzzy stuff) off as
>possible. I'm not sure if boiling the peel first will help get off the
>pith or make it more difficult.

Having done it both ways, I've found that it is much easier to boil the
peel first before removing the pith.  It is time-consuming either way.  My
favorite tool for removing the pith from a "boiled" peel is the serrated
edge of a plastic Tupperware grapefruit "thingy".  You can boil up the peel
several times before removing the pith since more than one "boil" softens
even the most recalcitrant pith.  Just be careful not to scrape too hard or
you will go through the whole strip, cutting it into pieces!

Alys K.

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/