[Sca-cooks] Lefse .... help me please

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sat Dec 23 05:19:27 PST 2006

Hi, Malkin...I dug through my cookbook shelves, and came up with exactly one
recipe for lefse.  It doesn't give any quantities, sorry, but it does say
this:
They are made from a grain flour and mashed, boiled potatoes, mixed with
milk or water.  The text refers to 3 traditional "mixes"--one is made of
equal quantities oatmeal, rye flour, and mashed taters; the second is made
of equal quantities barley, oat and rye flour (with equal amounts of
taters); the third is three parts oatmeal to one part rye (taters assumed?).
"Whichever mix you prefer, mash the potato as soon as it is cool enough to
handle, and mix in most of the flour, with enough water to mix to a smooth
dough.  Leave the dough until the following day.  Then roll it out into
thin, wide pancakes.  Bake them on top of the stove on a lightly greased
griddle."
The couple of times I've had lefse, they've not tasted of rye, barley, or
oat flour, so I'm assuming that they were made with wheat flour.  If you
wanted to use milk or cream instead of the water, that would just make them
richer, although there's always the butter you spread them with before
rolling/folding and eating.
Now, if you'd needed recipes for rommegrot...those, I have.  ;o)
--Maire