[Sca-cooks] So, here's an odd question...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Dec 23 08:13:57 PST 2006

On Dec 23, 2006, at 10:35 AM, Louise Smithson wrote:

>> For those who do this -- parents of children small and not so small,
>> maybe... what do people leave out for St. Nick?
> Well in the UK Santa gets a glass of sherry or scotch and some
> mince meat pies.  And the animals get carrots.
> In some areas he gets a pork pie instead.
> Helewyse

I was a little concerned/distressed at some of the UK Father
Christmas concept as represented in a UK-made animated short they
showed on PBS some years ago... Santa lived alone in a sort of
suburban council house, came home from work on Christmas morning, put
a turkey in the oven and a pudding in a pot, left them to cook while
he went to bed, awakened to enjoy a solitary Christmas dinner, went
off to the French Riviera on holiday, sunbathed with bikini-ed young
ladies, then came home to start getting ready for another bloomin'
Christmas...

I have no idea whether this is a standard view there.

I just wonder what it is about which the old gent comes home saying,
if he never sees another X it will be too soon, and what it is about
which he says, I could really go for a nice Y right about now...

Do most kids leave him cookies? How many bologna sandwiches does he
get? Corned beef or pastrami on a nice pumpernickel? Probably not
much of the latter. Sushi? Ditto.

But it's interesting to speculate. I believe that the IPA and spring
rolls may have evolved from somebody's warped, juvenile idea that
Santa wasn't real, and that it was someone else that was actually
consuming the stuff. I can't imagine who, though. Kids come up with
the strangest ideas.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782