[Sca-cooks] Candied Orange Peel

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Dec 23 09:15:51 PST 2006

Having read through a number of these posts, my own
thoughts are that this might work depending upon the type
of orange that you have received. Oranges vary a great deal
in their peels. Over the course of a year one will get thin peels
or thick peels. In terms of peels, I have now worked with a variety of
citrus fruits,
including oranges, lemons, limes, pomelos and grapefruits.
The other Citrus fruits all vary in the thickness of the peels.
The oranges which you have received might or might not work, but that
doesn't mean
that the idea wouldn't work. You may need to proceed with a different
type of orange.

As for peeling--
During the course of my work with oranges and candying them,
"I finally settled on using a an expensive Zyliss peeler, although an
Oxo or Good Grips peeler might work well for you.
Try using different vegetable peelers or knives until you find a peeler
and a method that works best for you.
I also have settled after much experimentation on using a set
of Global paring knives. I find that a narrow slightly hooked (sometimes
called bird’s beak curved knife) paring knife works well."

Pith or no pith varies from person to person and source to source.
"Numerous modern cookbooks in their candied peel recipes advocate
boiling the peels with the white pith left on. After boiling them, one
is told to then scrape out the softened white pith from the boiled
orange peel with a spoon or a melon ball cutter. I find this to be
largely to be unsatisfactory. It seems to me that it is far easier to
spend a few more minutes peeling the fruits carefully at the start than
it is to try and get the pith out of a piece of softened boiled peel.
Other recipes suggest that a thin layer of white pith makes the peel
softer and is desirable. Grapefruit peels, by the way, which when
candied for eventual dipping into chocolate seem to always have some
white pith left on them. ....In the past, numerous recipes call for
boiling initially until the fruit peels are translucent. This may have
been necessary when only /bitter/ varieties of fruits were being used.
It’s not so necessary for many of today’s varieties." from my book

I would have to warn that the cutters you own may not have a sharp
enough edge to cut through certain peels effectively without tearing.
Certain sections may cut through. Other edges may not cut at all.

I would also urge you not to totally destroy the enjoyment of eating the
fruits while attempting to get to the peels. Having lovely oranges
in a cold winter in the late Medieval period would have been a gift
of great luxury. Enjoy them while you work on the peels.

Johnnae llyn Lewis