[Sca-cooks] steel cut oats - was haggis OOP

Mairi Ceilidh jjterlouw at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 25 14:10:39 PST 2006

You know, it's rude to ask someone for something, then go out of town and
miss the response for days.  We're back now, and I have survived making
Christmas dinner for my dear in-laws.  Everyone has gone home, and I'm
feeling a nap coming on.  I hope everyone has had a happy, peaceful
Christmas.  I know we have been very blessed, and I am thankful.

I'm not much of a cookie maker, but I may have to play with some of these.
I love cookies, and collect recipes for them.  I just seldom get around to
using the recipes.  Maybe I should start making a batch a week, and taking
them to mother dearest's nursing home.

With special Christmas wishes for all my friends, known and unknown, who
make life and learning more fun.

Mairi Ceilidh

well, none of them are resticted to the holidays. 8)

  i love to make cookies.  pies too.  i just don't really
have the cake gene for anything but fruitcake.   these
recipes are from one of those old encycopedic cookbooks.
 i love those things.

chipotle is still in the mind's eye.  when i try it, i
might just use the chipotle chili sauce from mcilhenny
instead of the vanilla.

  the green chilies are anahiem/big jim/hatch steamed and
peeled... even bueno in a tub works nicel.  mince very,
very finely.  add to your favorite sugar cookie recipe.
 you may have to work it a bit to get texture to roll... i
use the ubiquitous chili shape for mine.   these are
something you play with.  i would not recommend canned
green chilies... they tend to have a tinny taste.  use
fresh or frozen.

OATMEAL AND DRIED BERRY DROP COOKIES (adapted from Cooking
for Young Homemakers 1963)

they have a cakey texture and are adapted from the spiced
oat drops recipe

1 c butter
1.5 c sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 c flour
.5 tsp salt
.5 tsp soda
2 tsp baking powder
.5 tsp cinnamon
.5 tsp cloves
.66 c sour milk
1.5 c rolled oats
handful steel cut oats (or chopped nuts)
handful each dried berries (i used dried cherries,
blueberries and cranberries)

cream butter and sugar; add eggs and milk; add dried
berries and steel cut oats/nuts;  sift dry ingredients,
add rolled oats and add to creamed mixture alternately
with sour milk;  drop by teaspons onto a greased or
aluminum foiled cookie shet  and bake in moderate over
(350) for about 12 min.  you oven may vary.  can use sweet
milk instead of sour and omit baking soda.

HONEY COOKIES  (from Cooking for Young Homemakers 1963)

these worked great in my old metal cookie press

0.66 cup butter
0.5 cups sugar
1 cup honey
1 egg, beaten
0.5 cups sour cream
4 cups flour (may need .5 cup more)
1 tsp soda
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp salt

cream butter with sugar; add honey and blend; combine egg
with sour cream and add to shortening mix; sift dry
ingredients and add to liquid; form with cookie mold or
drop from teaspon and flatten with aknife.  bake 10+
minutes (your oven may vary) at 350.

this recipe also called for cinnamon and clove, but i just
used ginger to let the flavor of some really nice honey i
have shine through.

funny, i didn't make any chocolate chips this year...

cailte

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats