[Sca-cooks] Spices in England

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sat Dec 30 13:15:58 PST 2006

At 12:19 PM 12/30/2006, you wrote:
>   I believe it is in Robin Howe's, edited
>version of Mrs. Groundes-Peace's Old Cookery Notebook (which I do not
>have at hand) in which he states that her 15th Century household
>received something like a spoonful or less of sugar per month while
>Americans in the 20th Century were consuming ? lbs per person per month,
>the figure is extraordinary in comparison. Perhaps Queen Bess had all
>the sugar she wanted but I doubt her subjects saw much of it . . .

I would like to point out to you that the 15th c and Elizabeth's time are
NOT the same thing. Also, a servant's allotment is not necessarily
indicative of what was available to the population at large in the 15th
century. But we have a fair number of Elizabethan-era cookbooks that are
loaded with sweets and dishes that require sugar. And these were certainly
not restricted to Elizabeth and her immediate circle.

'Lainie