[Sca-cooks] Mrs. Groundes-Peace's book was Spices in England

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Dec 30 18:56:59 PST 2006

I have reshuffled a few books on the shelf and laid my hands on my copy
of Mrs. Groundes-Peace’s Old Cookery Notebook. It was published in 1971
by the Cookery Book Club in the UK. Zara Groundes-Peace collected
culinary material during the last years of her life but died in 1966
before publishing her history of English food. Robin Howe then undertook
to assemble part of her material into a rather quaint volume of culinary
lore.

It turns out that it is not a very good source as regards historical
dating or for use in food history.
This is the book that states that “BRAZIL NUTS These were used from the
time of Henry III.” page 25.

The entry on Sugar reads:  “SUGAR Imported to Britain from India and
Arabia in 1535” page 36

The work states that the English printed cookbook came off the Caxton
press in 1500. It didn't of course.
That honor goes to Pynson and it wasn't Caxton's press.

There are numerous other errors, problems, mistakes, etc.

In as much  Zara  Groundes=Peace lived in the 20th century I am somewhat
mystified by the statement
you made regarding  "that her 15th Century household received something
like a spoonful or less of sugar per month."

Zara didn't have a 15th century household and I can't locate that set of
"facts" in the book as edited by Robin Howe.

Perhaps you are mistaken as to the source.

For an excellent history of food in England, I would suggest

Wilson, C. Anne. *Food & Drink in Britain : From the Stone Age to the 19th Century*. 1973. Numerous UK and US editions. Revised in 1991.

 Hope this helps,

Johnnae llyn Lewis