[Sca-cooks] Grains of Paradise

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 31 10:44:02 PST 2006

I'm questioning the size spoon used here.

  A few thoughts:
  In the U.S. today we use measuring spoons in cooking but in England they don't use them.
  Standard sizes are not the same on the other size of the pond.
  I am not saying things have not changed in 500 years - I am sure they have.

  If you ask an English person for a spoon (in their kitchen) you will be handed a tablespoon.  It's larger than ours by a third.

  I have had better luck with late period recipes (the ones that have actual measurements) to measure with a tablespoon when "a spoon of" an ingredient is called for.

  Cordelia Toser

Adele de Maisieres <ladyadele at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
    Suey wrote:
> No I think Howe was referring to a teaspoon or at most 200 milligrams of
> unrefined or brown sugar was the measure for the intake of household
> members, not servants in the 15th century on a monthly or whatever average.

Um, a teaspoon of sugar is between 4 and 5 grams.

--
Adele de Maisieres