[Sca-cooks] Fruit Paste...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 3 01:58:56 PST 2006

Femke replied to me with:
<<<
 > I think even today waxed paper or similar papers might be used. This
 > sounds like the type of item which might show up in the multitude of
 > christmas holiday catalogs that have begun to appear in everyone's
 > mailboxes and as newspaper inserts. So you might glance through these
 > as they head to the trashcan.

I can with experience say that waxed paper = really bad idea.  Even if
you've cooled the paste down somewhat from the temp it reaches by the
time
it's boiled down, if it's cool enough to pour, its tendency is to
melt the
wax and weld itself quite firmly to the paper base.  It must then be
picked
off in little slivers and still leaves a somewhat "papery" product.  I
suppose if you're trying to raise the fiber content of your diet...but
still.  *g*  I've done this with homemade turtles, too.

Take home lesson:  When making candies, stick with parchment paper.

Ok. I thought the poster was looking for something to hold/gift the
fruit paste in, not for making it in. I would think there still might
be a lot of problems with the fruit paste wanting to stick to
whatever it was packed in, hence my suggestion of waxed paper or
whatever the commercial outfits use.

I think simply pouring out the fruit paste, allowing it to cool and
then cutting it would be the way to handle the hot stuff.  Isn't that
one of the reasons for the slabs of marble in pastry/confectionary
making?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas