[Sca-cooks] Brining Vessels

Martha Oser osermart at msu.edu
Sun Dec 3 05:57:31 PST 2006

Any 5-gallon vessel will generally do the trick.

I've used a "Homer Bucket" purchased from Home Depot, a well-washed and
rinsed empty laundry detergent container and a plasic brining bucket with a
lid, bought especially for the purpose by my parents.

Alton Brown on TV has used one of those upright (usually yellow) drink
coolers with a spout at the bottom - makes it easy to drain out the brine
when you're ready.  I think I've also seen him use a standard rectangular
cooler too.

You could also use a pickle bucket from a restaurant if you can get one or a
brewing bucket as well.

Best,

Helena