[Sca-cooks] Boiling Water in Microwave...any hear of

Sam Wallace guillaumedep at worldnet.att.net
Mon Dec 4 00:31:48 PST 2006

Hello Johnnae,

Yes, this describes a possible (if rare) outcome that is avoidable with very
little effort: boil water in the microwave using only dirty dishes...

Sorry, I couldn't help that! Yes, this is a real phenomenon and should be
taken seriously. The last time I took my Red Cross First Aid certification,
we covered an accident caused by superheated water in a microwave as a
possible burn scenario. As a side note, supercooling water in a freezer is
possible, too. It just doesn't cause as many injuries as superheating.

Yours,

Guillaume
******************

      The FDA has this posted at

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/consumer/microwave.html#10

Under CDRH Consumer Information--

      Erupted Hot Water Phenomena in Microwave Ovens

The FDA received reports in the past of serious skin burns or scalding
injuries around people's hands and faces as a result of hot water
erupting out of a cup after it had been over-heated in a microwave oven.
Over-heating of water in a cup can result in superheated water (water
heated past its boiling temperature), which does not appear to be boiling.

This type of phenomena occurs if water is heated in a clean cup. If
foreign materials such as instant coffee or sugar are added before
heating, the risk is greatly reduced. If superheating has occurred, a
slight disturbance or movement such as picking up the cup, or pouring in
a spoon full of instant coffee, may result in a violent eruption with
the boiling water exploding out of the cup.

      What Can Consumers Do to Avoid Super-Heated Water?

Users should follow the precautions and recommendations found in the
microwave oven instruction manuals, specifically the heating time.
*Users should not use excessive amounts of time when heating water or
liquids in the microwave oven*. Determine the best time setting to heat
the water to the desired temperature and use that time setting regularly.

See also
http://www.extension.umn.edu/foodsafety/components/columns/Mar10laj.htm
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mmicroboil.html

and