[Sca-cooks] Stefan's Florilegium article for December

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Dec 9 23:06:18 PST 2006

A Happy Yule Season to everyone!

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for December detailing what
is new in the Florilegium this month.

If you are looking for gift ideas for someone with medieval interests
or you yourself have friends or family who might like to get you
something but they have no idea what might be good, there are a
number of files in the Florilegium that have lists of gift ideas.

There are also a number of files in the Florilegium on Yule
activities as well as food and drink ideas which would be appropriate
for Yule Revels and even modern Yule parties and pot lucks.

If you have found the Florilegium useful or interesting, you might
also want to consider making a donation using the donation button on
the top page of the site this holiday season to help keep the
Florilegium running. There are ongoing overhead expenses in keeping
such a site running and since I've been unemployed since last May,
any amount helps.

Thanks,
Stefan
-----
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information
in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an
article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send
it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for
more details.

I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping
me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,
editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more
details.

For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in
another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of
the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the
overhead costs of keeping the site running.  As I was laid off in
May, any amount would help me keep this site going.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the COMMERCE section:
    p-markets-msg        Medieval markets.
In the ENTERTAINMENT section:
    Marbles-art          “Marbles” by THL Dagonell Collingwood of
                            Emerald Lake.
In the FEASTS section:
    Camp-Dinner-art      A small camp dinner of period foods for 7
                            people by Mistress Elaine de Montgris
                            (known as 'Lainie).
In the FOOD section:
    Medicinal-Fds-art    "Medicinal Foods of the Middle Ages" by
                             Marija and Petr Kotok.
In the FOOD-BY-REGION section:
    NW-Fds-Italy-art     “A time for change: new world foods in old
                            world menus”, by Mistress Helewyse de
                            Birkestad.
In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
    Bakng-w-Sugar-art    “Baking with Sugar in Renaissance Germany”
                            by Lord Giano Balestriere.
In the RELIGION section:
    Lent-msg             Medieval Lenten practices and restrictions.
    Saints-Lives-art     “The Role of Hagiography in the Conversion
                            of Western Europe” by Herr Detlef von
Marburg.
In the SCA-STORIES section:
    Gleann-Abhann-art    The birth of the Kingdom of Gleann Abhann
                            amid Hurricanes Katrina and Rita by
                            Vallawulf Rurikson.

Here are some of the updated files.
    brewing-msg          General brewing info and sources.
    canning-msg          Use of canning in the SCA. Directions.
    cheese-goo-msg       Digby's Savory Tosted cheese. melted cheese.
    children-msg         Children in the SCA and period.
    cook-ovr-fire-msg    Cooking over open fires. Outdoor feasts.
    ironing-msg          Medieval ironing of clothes. Ironing tools.
    meatballs-msg        Period dishes with meatballs.
    stockfish-msg        Period preserved fish. Dried, smoked and
                            salted fish. Recipes.
    sumac-msg            Period uses of sumac. Identifying it.
---
Copyright 2006, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted
if the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the
publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com