[Sca-cooks] Speaking of Oats (was steel cut oats - was haggis OOP)

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 22 19:49:41 PST 2006

"Celia des Archier" <celiadesarchier at cox.net>
>After recently learning the drastic difference in the health benefits
>between steel cut oats and rolled oats, I finally bit the bullet and bought
>some McCann?s Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal ?.  When I got them home I found that
>it would take more than *1/2 hour* to cook them...

Weird. I have some brand organic steel cut oats i've been eating off
and on for months. I guess i didn't read the back very carefully,
because i've been boiling them for around 5 minutes, then adding some
oat bran and simmering about 1 more minute. And i've been happy with
the outcome (i do not like mushy oatmeal).

So i was surprised to read your message. Away to the kitchen I flew
in a flash, tore down the canister, read the directions on the back
of the cardboard cylinder, and, lo! what to my wondering eyes did
appear, but directions to cook them 30 minutes!

Not like i'm gonna change how i cook them. 6 minutes seems fine to
me. They are soft enough, a little chewy, but far from hard, and they
seem cooked to me...

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita