[Sca-cooks] Lefse .... help me, please

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Dec 23 06:42:29 PST 2006

Here's Elisabeth Luard's Swedish lompe recipe, from a favorite
cookbook of mine, which is nearly identical to the lefse made by the
mother of a good SCAdian friend, whose family is of Norwegian
ancestry. The only difference is that they use the flour for dusting,
and it gets incorporated into the dough that way. Mixing it in is
probably thought to be cheating. However:

> 2 lb (6 medium sized) old
>
> -potatoes (the older, the -better)
> 1 tb Salt
> 1/4 lb (1 cup) flour
>
> This excellent soft pancake wrapper, easily made at home, is eaten
> in Norway with butter and 'geitost' cheese, or used to wrap
> delicious little morsels of smoked ham, 'fenalar', dried and salted
> leg of mutton, or a spoonful of berry conserve.
>
> You will need a griddle or a heavy frying pan, or best of all, a
> 'takke'. Boil the potatoes in their skins. Peel them as soon as
> they are cool enough to handle and immediately mash them with the
> salt. Speed makes light pancakes. Mix with the flour into a dough.
> (Less or more flour may be needed - potatoes are very variable. The
> less flour you use, the better.) Form into a long sausage and chop
> of lengths. Roll these pieces out into pancakes about 1/8 inch thick.
>
> Bake the 'lompe' on a hot iron surface.
>
> Yield: Makes 10 to 12 small pancakes Time: 1 hour
>
> From: "The Old World Kitchen - The Rich Tradition of European
> Peasant Cooking" by Elisabeth Luard, ISBN 0-553-05219-5 Posted by:
> Karin Brewer, Cooking Echo, 7/92

The other difference is that the potato lefse I've seen are quite
large, maybe 15 inches across. You'd probably want to double, or
maybe even triple, the recipe.

Ateno's family eats these with Swedish meatballs, lutefisk (which for
Alaskan Norwegians appears to be made from fresh cod, not
reconstituted dried), and butter with cloudberry or lingonberry jam,
sometimes even cranberry sauce.

He also has a dedicated Norwegian lefse griddle (I think it's called
a takke), a ridged lefse rolling pin, and a long wooden spatula,
basically a wooden lath sharpened on one edge, to turn the lefse...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04