[Sca-cooks] red wine substitute

Heleen Greenwald heleen at ptd.net
Wed Dec 27 13:54:43 PST 2006

I need to make a mushroom gravy for Shabbos and I found this recipe
on Epicurious:
MUSHROOM GRAVY

Can be prepared in 45 or less.

1 pound mixed fresh white and exotic mushrooms such as cremini,
oyster, or shiitake

  (discard shiitake stems)

4 large garlic cloves, minced

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 onion, chopped fine

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1/2 cup dry red wine

1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 1/2 cups cold water

1/2 teaspoon sugar

2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves

Slice mushrooms. In a 10-inch heavy non-stick skillet cook garlic in
butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until pale golden. Add
onion and cook, stirring, until softened. Add mushrooms and soy sauce
and sauté mixture over moderately high heat, stirring, until liquid
mushrooms give off is evaporated and mushrooms begin to brown.

Add wine and vinegar and boil until liquid is evaporated. Stir
cornstarch mixture and add to skillet with sugar. Bring mixture to a
boil, stirring, and simmer 2 minutes. Stir in parsley and season
gravy with salt and pepper. Gravy may be made 1 day ahead and
chilled, covered. When reheating gravy, add water if necessary to
thin to desired consistency.

Serve gravy spooned over baked or mashed potatoes and/or steak or
chicken.

Makes about 2 1/2 cups.
Gourmet

My question: It calls for red wine. If I use wine, the wine MUST be
kosher and I simply haven't got any kosher wine right now, or the
ability to get any by Friday afternoon. What can I substitute for the
red wine? Grape juice, in this instance is too disgusting to think
about.  Perhaps some veggie broth? Anybody got any better suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
Phillipa