[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 8, Issue 62

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 27 20:03:44 PST 2006

  Benedicte,
  For the past 20+ years I have 'helped the bishop of Myra by letting him use my corporal being' to quote a certain Northshield princess...
  I have dressed in Oriental(Byzantine) episcopal vestment and deposited coins in shoes in a few select houses...on several occasions The Bishop appeared during the day and 'grilled' the inhabitants about their various respective religious traditions and rewarded them with either sweets or with a switch from his faithful, yet unwilling, demonic servant "Schwartz Pieter" !!

  I always wondered about Black Peter, and how a Saint came to have a demon for a servant, til I read in a collection of St. Nicholaus legends, dating from the mid 14th cen, so at least known in period if not HIS period... That this particular demon had been assigned to annoy the saint by foiling his charitable aims by disclosing his anonimity....Bishop Nicholaus apprehended the demon and instead of exorcising him back to Hades, used a trick Our Lord taught him and instead of sending him into a herd of swine, simply made him bear his pack and assist him...can't quite imagine a penalty more humiliating for a demon than being made to do good works for a saint!!

  Johann

  1. Re: Half an outcast! (Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius)

Message: 1