[Sca-cooks] small earthquakes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Dec 30 01:07:40 PST 2006

Urtatim commented:

<<< (boom, rattle, rattle, rattle)
Sh*t, that's the third earthquake in the past 3 or 4 days, all the
same magnitude and with the epicenter just a couple miles from my
house.

Oh, well, happy holiday earthquakes to everyone... NOT!  >>>

I'm sorry to hear of your discomfort. But I suspect that these small
earthquakes are actually good, since they let off some of the
building pressure. These small quakes do minimal damage, even if they
are disconcerting. However, if the pressure between the sliding
tectonic plates is not occasionally relieved, it continues to build
until it overcomes the friction holding the plates back and that is
when you get the much bigger 6, 7 and 8 magnitude (on the Richter(?)
scale) quakes. Those are the ones that do major damage and in which
people get hurt and killed.

I had just joined the SCA when the quakes hit in 1989 and knew few
folks in California. I know more folks there now, including yourself,
and I'd much rather have more small quakes than be worried about my
friends out there if (when?) another big one happens.

On a lighter side, my mother used to have a gas oven that had
irregular heat or perhaps just bad temperature control and many of
our birthday cakes ended up with large cracks in them and we would
call them earthquake cakes. We would ice them and then place the choo-
choo train or other cake decorations on the cake getting swallowed up
by the crack(s).

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas