[Sca-cooks] The Developing 2006 New Year's Eve menu...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Dec 31 14:35:14 PST 2006

Hullo, the list!

Since for the past few years we've been celebrating the regular
calendar New Year as a dry-run mini-Lunar New Year with champagne,
She Who Must Be Obeyed is out, and I have been issued instructions to
prepare a soy-sauce chicken from the whole chicken in the fridge
(whole as in, it's got a head and feet on it) and the many-times used
and improved red-cooking soy sauce from the freezer...

That's done, and SWMBO found some baby cuttlefish in the market
yesterday, so those went into the braising liquid after the chicken
came out. I'm not doing the rest (I've just been "advised" to take a
nap! Woo-hoo! I live for this!) , and am not completely clear on
what's being done with it all, but I gather we're not doing the usual
thing with the two fish and the steamed lop cheung sausages, not
until February. So, what we're looking at is something like:

	Some species of soup, but since it hasn't been started yet I assume
it's either cilantro or corn-crab-egg-drop, both of which are quick
to prepare
	Soy-sauce chicken
	Red-cooked cuttlefish
	Something with Jumbo Shrimp (probably just floured and fried in
their shells and served with five-spice salt and chopped chiles)
	Something with sliced conch (I have no idea, I only work here; it
may or may not involve Silk Squash / Chinese Okra)
	Baby bok tsoy, probably either sauteed plain or blanched and
drizzled with oyster sauce...
	Probably various small additions will be thrown in to bring it up to
at least nine dishes, rice, pickles, etc...

I was a little alarmed by the fact that these are small cuttlefish;
the ones I normally see are about the size of a small, cooked
chicken, and are thinly sliced and served cold. These ones, when
cooked as they are, look suspiciously like tea eggs from a distance...

A Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year, all!

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04