[Sca-cooks] book cataloging programs

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Feb 13 23:43:58 PST 2006

Selene Colfox asked:

Ana L. Valdés wrote:
 > I discovered a marvelous software to classify my huge library,
 > Delicious, excellent, connected to Amazon database. Sadly, only for
 > Mac so far...

Please tell me more - Mac head here, in need of GOOD library program.
<<<

I still highly recommend Readerware, It is shareware and is available
for Mac and Windows and, I think, Linux.
Given either the ISBN number or Library of Congress number it will
scan through Amazon.com, Amazon.com in UK, and dozen or more other
online databases to come up with its information. When it finds
information for the same book in different sources, it does a decent
job of combining it and it will show a cover illustration of the book
if it can find it.

If you pay the $10 extra or so and purchase the software on CD, they
are still throwing in either a USB or PS/2 QueCat. This was a cheap
barcode reader that was put out by one of the now-gone dot.com
companies I think. With this, if the book has the ISBN encoded and
printed on it, you don't even have to type in the number. Simply scan
the reader across the barcode. I've found that this works fairly
well, although sometimes I have to scan a couple of times to get it
to take the scan. Sometimes I simply find out that the barcode is not
the ISBN number but some other kind of barcode.

The website is: http://www.readerware.com

Looking at the website, I notice:
February 10th, 2006 - Readerware 2.97 includes iPod® support, a new
thumbnail view, multiple column sorting, drag and drop updates,
server enhancements & more.<<<

So, I guess I need to go do an upgrade, although I have no idea what
"iPod® support" includes.

It also allows you to export your book list to a Palm Pilot, although
it's rather primative. My idea was to have that on hand as I browsed
the Pennsic booksellers, time before last. Unfortunately, I found
that PDAs really don't like the primative conditions of Pennsic,
although part of the problem was that, that Pennsic was cloudy so I
had trouble using the solar panel to recharge it. I also found that I
*still* managed to duplicate some book purchases when a large order
of books arrived after Pennsic. I had ordered the books back in June
or July, but because the order hadn't arrived before Pennsic, the
books weren't in the database at Pennsic.

I think I'm currently up to almost 1500 books, plus a large stack
that either have no ISBN or Library of Congress number or have a
wrong number, which I haven't gotten around to entering by hand.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com