[Sca-cooks] Re: Rumpolt fishes

Cat . tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 14 07:53:12 PST 2006

I am frantically trying to clear my desk before
heading to Estrella, but felt the need to poke my nose
into this.

Here is a quick and dirty translation of the listing
you gave.  Please note it is QUICK, DIRTY and if there
is any doubt assume Im erring toward modern (they may
well have been soemthing else in period, but at the
moment Im too swamped to hunt, so feel free to take
Thomas or someone elses opinon.)

I put the Gwen Cat translation (if I had one) in
front.

In Service and hoping NOT to be steppign on any toes
or repeating what has already been done (am on digest)

Gwen Cat

Rochen is a ray in general though it may be a stech
rochen which is the modern for stingray

eel  - Aal - eel
oyster  - Austern - shellfish (mussel/clam types)
barben
Bersig
Biscorn
kipper  - Bu:cking
cod (codfish)  - Cabellaw
Capelungen
Capoditzen / Meerspinnen - sea spiders
Cerdeli
Dieck
Esch
trout  - Foren / Forellen
frogs  - Fro:schen - frogs
common gudgeon (Gobio gobio)  - Grundel
sturgeon  - Hausen
pike   - Hecht - pike
herring  - Hering - herring
Huechen
pickerell aka young pike?) - Iunnen Hechten - ?? pike
possibley little carp  - Ka:rpelein
Karauschten
carp  - Karpffen - carp
Koppen
crabs (also lobsters) Krebssen Lobster/crabs
Kressen
possibly lamprey-eel  - Lampreten
Lauben
shrimp  - MeerGrillen / Gambarn - sea crickets
sea toungue  - Meerzungen - sea tongues
shellfish (including scallops)  - Muscheln - shellfish
of some type
noses???  - Nasen
Nerffling
nine eyes (lamprey)  - Neunaugen - NIne-eyes?
Pfrillen
flat iron (another flat fish no clue) Plateissen
Polch
Puttes
Rencken
perhaps fish from the Rhine?)  - Rheinfisch
ray (in general)  - Rochen -skate / stingray?
red little eye (no clue) Rot Euglein
Rutten
salmon  - Sa:lmling
(not sure salmon plural?) -  salmen
Sangel
Schaiden
Schied
tortoise/turtle  - Schildtro:ten - tortoise
tink  (Tinca tinca )  - Schleyen
snails  - Schnecken - snails
Schretzel
black shells  - schwartzen Muscheln - black shells
turbot  - Steinbeisser
Sto:ren
stockfish (so it says)  - Stockfisch
Unbiess