[Sca-cooks] Speissbraten

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Thu Feb 16 11:46:18 PST 2006

You have no idea what memories you brought back. I've eaten at the
restaurant that claims to have been serving food in Idar-Oberstein
since the 1400s (give or take) many times. The spiessbraten is a
specialty of the region. It is divine...and mind you I come from
Texas so I know my barbecue. It is also commonly served at outdoor
markets from booths. Spiessbraten with bratkartolffen, a bit of
salat, a glass of cristalweissen, and I was a happy camper.

A few notes:
The grill doesn't really ~swing~ throught the flames. It is round
and kind of rotates from the chains above. The actual grill is
located in a semi-open room to the side of the restaurant (it is
built into a cliff) so you can watch the cooks grill when walking
down the street. The grill is about 4 to 5 feet across (if memory
serves - the middle was reachable with tongs). They turn the grill
slowly so that the meat goes on raw on one side, comes around,
gets flipped then spins back the other direction. There are
several variations of this and I saw a grill that was based on the
same idea at Academy one time. The Academy grill was held up from
the bottom center, but it was still round and rotated over the
coals. I just wish I'd had the money to buy it at the time because
I haven't seen it since. The flames come from a very shallow
fire...maybe 10 inches deep total...not a pit. It is definitely
more of a grill than a smoke type of thing.

As for the seasoning...the modern versions include a reddish spice
that I am tempted to call paprika. I never found out exactly what
it was but when I asked I was told it wasn't paprika. They could
have either not understood my bad German or just wanted to keep
their secret.

Ysabeau...
who is now craving speissbraten...~sigh~...and french fries with
curry ketchup

From: Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net>
<SNIP>
>The recipe I keep seeing over and over online is this one,
although I
>believe that you can vary it quite a bit, like different meats.
>
>AUGUST GEORG'S SPIESSBRATEN
>
>1 Shallot or small onion cut  into small pieces
>Freshly ground black pepper
>1 pinch Mace
>1 large Steak (just over 1 lb), at least 1 1/4 inches
>
>((Note: Per Horst Scharfenberg, this recipe originated in the
town of
>Idar-Oberstein in the 19 th century, when gemstone prospectors
returning
>from South America created their own version of gaucho-grilled
steaks.
>The dish was then further refined by Scharfenberg's mentor August
Goerg.
<http://www.recipeland.com/recipe/951/#> .
>Coat the steak with the shallot mixture, pressing it in so it
will
>adhere. Remove the loose shallot pieces and grill the steak (over
a fire
>of oak logs, says August Goerg, from which the bark has been
removed).*
>Take the steaks off the grill while they are still pink inside.
Sprinkle
From:
>THE CUISINES OF GERMANY by Horst Scharfenberg, Simon &
Schuster/Poseidon